Employers Must Collect New Form NC-4 EZs or NC-4s
Note: See revised documents below
November 12, 2013
The North Carolina General Assembly recently enacted the Tax Simplification and Reduction Act which becomes effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2014. Under this new law, all taxpayers will pay a lower rate and be granted a higher standard deduction. Taxpayers may no longer claim a personal exemption for themselves, their spouse, children, or any other qualifying dependents. Additionally, many deductions and tax credits that impact North Carolina withholding tax are no longer available for tax years beginning on or after January 1.
- The new form must be completed by the employee and provided to the employer so the correct amount of State income tax is withheld for any payment periods beginning on or after January 1, 2014.
Likewise, all recipients of pension or annuity payments must complete and provide to their payer a new Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments, Form NC-4P ,(Revised 11/25/13) in order to withhold the correct amount of State income tax for any pension payment periods beginning on or after January 1, 2014.
NCDOR will notify employers and pension payers of the new requirement by mail.
Review the notification packet (Revised 11/25/13), which includes new versions of the NC-4 EZ, NC-4 and NC-4P along with instructions and other related information.
Completed NC-4 forms should not be mailed to NCDOR unless an employee claims more than 10 allowances.
Questions: employers or pension payers with questions can contact NCDOR at: 1-877-252-3052.
(Note: Unlike most tax forms, you can save time by printing the NC-4 EZ, NC-4, and NC-4P directly from the links below. Since these documents are not scanned or machine read, the forms may be copied and distributed as needed.)
- Notification Packet - Revised 11/25/13: See Line 8 on last two pages
- NC-4 EZ
- NC-4P - Revised 11/25/13
- NC-30 - Revised 11/25/13: See Line 8 on Page 16 and 17
- NC-4 FAQ's
P.O. Box 25000, Raleigh, NC 27640-0001
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help