Identity Theft

The North Carolina Department of Revenue takes identity theft very seriously and knows it is a very frustrating event for victims.  If you are an identity theft victim, we would like to provide you some helpful information about the types of documentation the department will need in order to easily assist you.  Ask yourself the three simple questions below to begin the process of resolving possible tax issues that may arise from identity theft.

What information/documents do I need to gather?

You will need to provide documentation to verify your identity, wages and the actual occurrence of identity theft.

You will be required to submit ALL four of the following forms of documentation, along with an explanation letter detailing your identity theft issue:

  1. A copy of a valid Federal or State issued photo identification such as:
    • State driver's license or State identification card
    • Passport
    • U.S. Military ID card
  2. A copy of your social security card
  3. Copies of all wage and tax statements issued to you during the year(s) in dispute
  4. A copy of IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit

Where do I send the necessary documentation?

You can mail or fax this information to the department:

NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, PO Box 1168, Raleigh NC 27602-1168
Fax telephone number:   919-715-0742

What happens after I submit my documentation? 

If you submit the four forms of documentation listed above, the department will verify the documents and then take appropriate steps to correct your tax account(s).

If you cannot submit all four forms of documentation listed above, you should submit the documentation you have, along with a letter explaining that you are seeking the additional documentation and will furnish upon receipt.   You should continue to seek copies of the documents you are missing.  When your letter and initial documents are received, the department will place a hold on your tax account(s) for 90 days while you obtain and submit the remaining documentation.

You will be contacted by the department if additional information is required or when your tax account(s) have been corrected.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides helpful information at  You can obtain IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, on this site.  Look for the "Identity Theft" tab on the IRS home page for more information.

For Additional information

Please call 1-877-252-3052