Extension for Filing Individual Income Tax Return
Request an extension of time to file an Individual Income Tax Return (D-400)
- Does not provide an extension of time to pay the tax due
- Must file the extension by the original due date of your return
How long is the extension?
In most cases, the extension provides an additional six months to file your return. If you were already granted an additional four months to file because you were out of the country, the extension provides an additional two months to file your return.
Can I make a payment?
You can pay the tax due when you file an extension. If you don’t, this form will not provide an extension of time to pay the tax due. If you do not pay the full tax due by the original due date of the return, penalties and interest will be assessed.
Are my submissions secure?
The information you enter in the application is secure. However, some browsers may present a security error message because the header portion of the application references a legacy site that uses HTTP.
Review Extensions for more information.
File and Pay - Individuals
File and Pay - Businesses
- eFile returns, payments
- Online returns, payments
File and Pay - eNC3
Pay a Bill or Notice
- File and Pay Taxes
- Find Tax FAQs
- Find Tax Information
- Pay a Bill or Notice
- Request an Installment Agreement
- Understand My Notice
- Collections – Past Due Taxes
- Periodic Review of Existing Rules
- Reports and Statistics
- Resolving Disputes
- Identity Theft
- Individual Income Tax Estimator
- Individual Income Tax Rates
- Sales and Use Taxes for Real Property Transactions and Services
- Sales and Use Tax Rates
- Taxpayer Advocate
- Taxpayer Self-Help